Upon reflecting this year cooking with my Little Chefs here are a few things I have learned:
- Never have a set time for dinner, you will ALWAYS run late.
- Measure all ingredients out into separate bowls BEFORE adding to the main bowl.
- Review, review, review. For each skill taught review and reteach over and over again.
- When Little Chefs choose the recipes they are more excited to make them and eat them.
- Explore different flavors and tastes, especially those YOU do not like. Let the Little Chefs make up their own minds without prejudice. Try, try again. The more exposure they get to new foods the more daring they will become.
- Have fun! Cooking with kids is about the process more then the result. The memories created through each mistake will be cherished. Each time you use that ingredient again or make that same recipe the Little Chefs will say “remember when….” That is when you realize your time and patience has been worth it.
Here are my favorites that have not already been chosen!