We first had this Warm Summer Squash Salad about two summers ago. We really enjoy the taste of balsamic vinegar. When our gardens are producing A LOT of summer squash we get tired of the same recipe. This is a great alternative with a strong balsamic vinegar flavor.
The first step is to cut the summer squash into half moons. You could do a circle, but they are too big for my Little Chef’s mouths. It is easier to prep the food to their size instead of cutting everyone’s plates while mine is getting cold.
Next, Little Chef A cooked garlic in oil, then added in the summer squash. When it just starts to wilt and brown it is done. When all the summer squash is cooked it is time to add the balsamic vinegar and stir in the oregano.
This can be served warm or at room temperature. It is a quick, simple zucchini recipe with minimal ingredients. All qualities our favorite recipes have!
Warm Summer Squash Salad
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4 medium zucchini very thinly sliced
4 medium yellow summer squashes very thinly sliced
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
1. Coat a large skillet with oil. Add a third of the garlic, and heat over medium-high heat until sizzling, 1-2 minutes.
2. Add a third of the zucchini and yellow squashes and cook until just wilted and browned around edges, 2-3 minutes.
3. Transfer to a plate. Repeat twice with remaining garlic, zucchini, and yellow squashes.
4. Stir in vinegar to last batch, and let evaporate slightly.
5. Return all batches of zucchini and yellow squashes to skillet and stir in oregano.
6. Serve warm or at room temperature.