To continue with our Labor Day BBQ Meal today we are sharing Grilled Sweet Potatoes in Foil. We love this recipe because it is easy. You get to prep it and then leave it alone and focus on your main dish. As a recap, Monday we showed you how to store winter and summer squash, Tuesday we shared Fire Wire Beef Kabobs and Wednesday we shared Grilled Zucchini Halves.
Anything cooked on the grill in a packet is fun for my Little Chefs. Not only does it look like a present but they can put whatever they want inside. If the weather isn’t that great for grilling it is easy to cook the packet in the oven.
Sweet potatoes are very hard. I find them harder to slice then russet potatoes. So to help my Little Chefs be successful with this recipe I slice the sweet potatoes first. Then they are able to dice them into 1″ pieces. When they get frustrated or tired I take over and finish the job. I let them help as much as they want and let them stop when it isn’t fun anymore.
To shorten the long cooking time we transfer the sweet potato pieces into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. They have already started to soften! Add olive oil to the bowl and stir to coat the sweet potatoes. Next, add the brown sugar, cumin, salt, pepper, cinnamon, and cayenne (if using). Combine well.
Spray a piece of foil with nonstick spray. (We separate out the potatoes into 3 packets. Generally one packet per potato.) Pour seasoned sweet potatoes onto the foil. Cut butter into squares and place on top of sweet potatoes.
Close foil packets completely. We always double wrap just to be sure there is not any holes and it is shut well. Grill your sweet potatoes for 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes.
It is always very exciting when it is time to open the grilled sweet potatoes in the packet. The Little Chefs gather around and oooh and aaah at the beautiful sight inside. We do add the cayenne because my Little Chefs like a little spice, but you are welcome to leave it out.
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- Dice sweet potatoes into 1" pieces.
- Transfer sweet potato pieces into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Add olive oil to the bowl and use a spoon to coat the sweet potatoes.
- Add brown sugar, cumin, salt, pepper, cinnamon, and cayenne (if using). Combine well.
- Spray a piece of foil with nonstick spray.
- Pour seasoned sweet potatoes onto the foil.
- Cut butter into squares and place on top of sweet potatoes.
- Close foil packets completely. Double wrap is recommended.
- Grill for 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.