Spring has come and we are starting to get very involved in after school activities. Kahula Pork is a good meal option because you prepare it the night before. When we come home from the activity of the night the house smells good. The rice is started right away and dinner can be on the table in the time it takes for everyone to wash up, set the table and cut some fruits and veggies.
The first step is to poke holes in your 6 pound pork shoulder or pork butt roast. Don’t worry about trying to avoid touching the pork because that is unavoidable in the next step.
Rub the liquid smoke and the black hawaiian sea salt all over the pork. Place it in the slow cooker and now you can wash your hands. My Little Chefs are always relieved when it is time to wash up!
Peel a banana, but leave it in the peel. Now close up the banana as best you can and place it on top of the pork. Cover and cook on low for 18 to 20 hours. This is why you start it the night before, which might make for a busy night, but the next night you will be happy you did!
When the pork is tender discard the banana and place the pork on a tray or platter to shred. It should shred very easily with two forks. If the meat is a little dry add some of the cooking liquid to it. If we have time and the meat is tender before going to our activity for the night we will shred it and then put it back in the juices on low until we are ready to eat. Just make sure you use tongs to squeeze out a lot of the liquid so you do not have a mess on your plate. But then again most Little Chefs in my house do not like food touching so this is an absolute necessity for us! Serve it over rice and your easy meal is ready! If you need another slow cooker meal option try our Beef Stroganoff.
- 1 (6 pound) pork shoulder or pork butt roast
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Hawaiian black sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon liquid mesquite smoke flavoring
- 1 banana
- Poke holes in the meat all over with a fork.
- Rub salt and liquid smoke all over the meat.
- Place meat in a slow cooker.
- Open a banana then close it (banana stays in the peel). Place it on top of the meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 16 to 20 hours. Turn halfway through.
- Discard banana. Transfer meat from slow cooker to a tray or platter and shred with two forks. Add some of the liquid from the slow cooker to moisten the meat as needed.