Today’s Eggplant Tomato Stack recipe is fun to make at harvest time if you have a garden. If not, this is great whenever your find the ingredients in the store. We are still working on our gardening skills. We get a lot of green tomatoes but they have a hard time turning to red. This recipe can be used with the traditional beef steak or roma tomatoes but heirloom tomatoes work well and even cherry tomatoes can be used.
The eggplant and the tomatoes are cut into 1/2 inch thick slices. As you can see in my picture I cut down some of the tomatoes because I wanted them the same size or smaller then the eggplant so it would stack better. Seasonings are added and then topped with mozzarella cheese. After they are baked, serve warm. If you use baby eggplants these can be one bites.
If you like eggplant try our Roasted Mixed Vegetables with Basil recipe.
- 1 eggplant or 4 baby eggplants, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- ½ cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded or sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Place the eggplant slices on the baking sheet. Top each eggplant with a slice of tomato.
- Drizzle olive oil over everything. Sprinkle each stack with oregano, garlic powder, basil and black pepper.
- Sprinkle some shredded mozzarella cheese on top of each tomato.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese browns. Serve warm.