Crispy Lime Sugar Cookies are sweet and refreshing. This recipe is a perfect treat for families or parties such as St. Patrick’s Day. We tinted these cookies green to make it fun for the holiday. Do you serve green food or even rainbow food like this fruit parfait for your St. Patrick’s Day meal? My Little Chefs find it really fun especially after doing our St. Patrick’s Day Scavenger Hunt.
This sugar cookie recipe is just for the Dad in our house. He loves lime and he loves crispy, crunchy sugar cookies. The soft kind are not his cup of tea. I tested these out and thought they were a little too crunchy for me, but he fell in love with them and convinced me not to change them.
Lime Sugar Cookies
Just a few tips:
- I like the use the entire lime so go ahead and add all the zest and all the juice. It should be at least 2 teaspoons each. When you zest the lime be sure to only use the green part, not the white which is bitter.
- To make these Lime Sugar Cookies fun and festive for St. Patrick’s Day don’t forget to add the green food coloring. For a very mild green color 3 drops will do. 5 drops was perfect for my kids to notice they were green but to not scare them away.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, plus ¼ cup for dipping
- 1 lime
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 drops green food coloring, optional
- 2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- In a small bowl cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the zest of the lime and the juice of the lime.
- Add egg, extract, baking powder, baking soda, salt and food coloring if using. Combine well.
- Slowly add in the flour until fully incorporated.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop out the dough and then dip it into sugar and roll around to cover the outside of the dough. Add the sugar covered dough to the cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9 minutes or until the edges just begin to brown. Cool on wire racks. Enjoy.
Looking for more St. Patrick’s Day ideas? Click on the pictures to take you to the details!