Celebrating holiday’s is so much fun! My Little Chefs wanted to make something that they could be creative with. We decided to make rice krispie treats, dip them in chocolate and then decorate them in their own way.
The first step is to make rice krispie treats in a jelly roll pan because we didn’t want them to be too thick. One trick we have is when pressing the rice krispie treats into the jelly roll pan place a piece of wax paper over the top and press on that. Using a heart cookie cutter cut out various hearts and eat the remaining pieces!
Making the dipping chocolate is the next step. Little Chef A combined 1 cup milk chocolate chips with 1 Tablespoon shortening. Microwave in 30 second intervals stirring in between until melted, about 2 minutes.
Each of the Little Chefs had a turn decorating some hearts. Each heart was dipped in the chocolate on all sides then set on a cooling rack so the extra chocolate could drip off onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. They then had fun using sprinkles and little candies and let’s be honest…anything else they could find to place on the hearts. They each had their own method of either making a design or piling the candies up as high as possible!
My Little Chefs had just as much fun making and decorating their hearts as they did eating them and sharing their creations with each other! I call this a success!
- Rice Krispie Treats made in a jelly roll pan
- Heart cookie cutter
- 1 cup milk chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon shortening
- Sprinkles, small candies, decorations of your choice
- Cut out rice krispie treats with a heart cookie cutter.
- Melt chocolate and shortening in a small bowl in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, about 2 minutes.
- Dip the rice krispie hearts in the melted chocolate and cover on all sides. Remove with a fork and place on a cooling rack.
- Decorate with your choice of sprinkles, candies...anything you choose.
- Let chocolate dry. Enjoy!