We are HUGE strawberry fans! When they start showing up in the grocery store we get so excited. We purchased a big package, but after a couple days they seemed to be not as firm. Strawberry Muffins is a great recipe to use up those softer strawberries you are still wanting to consume. This recipe is easy for Little Chefs.
The first step is to cut the strawberries into small pieces. The softness of the strawberries makes it easy for even Little Chef D to cut successfully. Strawberries are one of her favorite things to cut. She is always first to volunteer! Combine the strawberries with 1/2 cup sugar. The sugar will cause the strawberries to magically make a syrup. Leave the bowl alone for an hour and you will be surprised! If you would like to speed up the process you can microwave the strawberries and sugar combination for 30 seconds. While you are waiting for the syrup to magically appear go play or do some homework. This is the longest part of the recipe!
When the syrup has magically appeared you can preheat the oven and really start the baking! In a medium bowl cream together the butter and brown sugar. When it is light and fluffy you know you are ready to move on. Beat in the eggs one at a time then add in the extracts. In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients; baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and flour. Combine the wet and dry ingredients, then add the strawberry jam to give it a little more strawberry flavor. Carefully add in the fresh strawberries with the juice and mini chocolate chips.
Spoon the batter into a greased muffin tin. These are dense muffins and do not rise very much. We filled each cup a little more to over compensate so they would still be tall. Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes. You know they are done when you touch the tops with your finger lightly and they spring back.
Spread some butter on the warm strawberry muffin and enjoy! If you have some leftover make sure you refrigerate them for only a couple days. My Little Chefs are a HUGE fan of these muffins. Little Chef Dad does not like the addition of the chocolate, he would rather we left that ingredient out. If we make them especially for him we will remember that!
- 2 cups chopped small fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 Tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, combine the strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar. Set aside for about 1 hour. To speed up the process microwave for 30 seconds before setting aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Grease muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the vanilla and strawberry extracts. Combine the baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, flour and strawberry jam. Add in the fresh strawberries with juice and mini chocolate chips.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.