Last week we shared a Pom Pom Turkey. Today we are sharing a Yarn Turkey. This one only has 3 types of supplies; yarn, pipe cleaner and craft foam. This would be a fun pre-Thanksgiving activity or a Thanksgiving Day activity.
- Brown yarn
- Orange pipe cleaner
- Yellow and orange craft foam
- Low temperature hot glue
- Black marker or pen
First you need to make the body.
- Wrap the yarn around your fingers about 15 times.
- Push the pipe cleaner between your third and fourth finger.
- Fold the pipe cleaner in half. One half will be on either side of the yarn.
- Slip the yarn off your fingers and twist the pipe cleaner until tight around the yarn.
- Choose one side and clip the loops with scissors.
- Notice one side is clipped and the other is still looped with the pipe cleaner tight around the yarn.
Next, cut out the feathers and head from the craft foam. Draw the shape with a pen or pencil then let your child cut it out.
Glue the beak on the head and draw on eyes with a marker. Glue the orange feathers onto the yellow feathers.
Attach the feathers and head to the clipped yarn by creating a sandwich: head, clipped yarn, feathers. Behind the feathers is the pipe cleaner and the unclipped yarn.
Now it is time to make the feet. Fold the end of one pipe cleaner on itself and secure the end by wrapping it around the “leg”. Repeat on the other side. Clip the yarn on the back of the turkey, fluff the yarn and you are done.