Being outdoors with kids can be easy or hard. Easy if they like discovering or hard if they need to be entertained. With my Nature Walk Trail Sign printable I have found a way to appeal to both. Easy crafts or active learning activities are something I like to bring with me for those “I’m bored” times. Redirecting their energy is usually all they need.
Nature Walk Trail Signs
There are certain signs you can use with rocks, sticks or pebbles that can tell others where you have gone. These are great to learn for survival purposes but why not make it a game.
Set Up –
- Print the Nature Walk Trail Sign printable on heavy paper.
- Cut just outside the boarder.
- Optional: Laminate the cards for extended use.
- Optional: Punch a hole in the top left corner of the card. Attach a string to the cards to use as a necklace so they do not get lose while playing the game.
- Optional: Attach the card to a water bottle to use while playing the game.
How to Play –
- Split up into two teams each with 2 or more players for safety reasons.
- The first team is given a 10 minute head start to leave trail signs leading to where they will be hiding.
- After 10 minutes is up the second team follows the trail signs to discover the first team.
Where to Play –
- Trail Signs can be played while camping, hiking, a day trip in the mountains or any similar terrain.
- Trail Signs can be played in your neighborhood. If you are unsure about finding rocks, pebbles or sticks use chalk to draw the signs.
Go ahead and let your kids start playing this now. You don’t need to wait until you are in the mountains or at the campground. It would be a fun family night activity at the park or in your neighborhood.
Don’t forget to grab the Nature Walk Trail Sign Printable.
If you love the outdoors, don’t forget to check out my Nature Scavenger Hunt with a free printable too! It’s one of our favorites!