A recycled denim bracelet is a low cost craft idea for kids. We all have jeans with holes. Perhaps you may cut them off and make them into shorts like I do, or a blanket like my mom. As an alternative how about creating a recycled denim bracelet that uses denim as the main material with a couple supplemental trimmings costing less then $2.
- Old pair of denim pants
- Prym Dritz Fray Check Sealant
- Fiskars Stick Rotary Cutter
- Omnigrid Mat With Grid 24×36
- 2 different trimmings
- Wood Flower With Multi Buttons – or a snap if you choose
- needle and thread
- Cut a one inch strip of your jeans pant leg across from one side to another. The width of the jeans I am using is 8″.
- Cut one side at the seam. Cut the other one inch after the seam.
- Cut two slits from one seam to the other. Do not cut through the thick part of the material just cut up until then. These are your 3 braiding strands. Yes they are connected at both ends. Keep them connected.
- Cut a slit that will be a button hole at the side of the denim that extends longer then the seam.
- Use fray check on all cuts to keep the denim from fraying. The fray check will make the denim stiff. The more fray check you use the more stiff the bracelet.
- Mystery braid following the directions in this video.
- Cut your trims to a 8″ length.
- Fray check the ends of your trim so they do not fray or unravel. TIP: Attach a piece of tape where you want to cut so that the ends do not unravel after cutting. Tape should be on both sides of the cut.
- Thread one trim through the braid as if it was one of the three braiding strands.
- Thread your second trim through the braid in the same manner.
- Cut a small slit at the top of each trim in the denim as shown in the picture.
- Thread the trim through the hole.
- Sew both ends of the trim to the denim to secure. I tacked it on both sides of the hole.
- Attach a button to the side that was cut right at the seam. You are finished!
If you are wondering about the trimmings, there is a section at the fabric store where you can buy by the yard. The tan/white and red trimmings I used were both around $1.50/yard. I did find a lot of trimmings on clearance for .25-.75/yard. I think it would be fun to show my 10-11 year old activity day girls how to make this recycled denim bracelet. This would also be fun for girls camp or a girls craft night!
Pin this for later if you do not have any jeans you can recycle today. If you have any questions please ask! Check out our Mini Easter Basket for another recycled craft.