The Ice Castles are back and open at Soldier Hollow in Midway, Utah! My girls were so excited to see the sculptures again this year. This is one destination they look forward to each year. In fact they want to go right when it opens and then again just before they close to see how much taller it has grown. Each day 10,000 icicles are grown each day and placed throughout the ice castles.
The giant ice features are better then ever this year! The artists used an entire acre of land as their canvas to create the most amazing ice sculptures. The first thing my kids wanted to do was sit on the frozen throne and feel like a princess. The throne is big enough to get a cute couple picture sitting side by side.
We quickly noticed the light show set to music. The lights change color with the tempo and feeling of the music. So many times my kids said this song is from…. They really were “taking everything in.” They loved discovering the canyons, waterfalls, caverns and tunnels. When they discovered the ice slide we had to stay for a few runs. The construction of the slide was what intrigued me. The ice was so thick! On the way out we grabbed some cookies and hot chocolate to warm us up and to convince the kids it was time to go!
What can you expect at the Ice Castles:
- A light show set to music
- Slot canyons
- Ice Slide for all ages
- Glacial Waterfalls
- Frozen archways
- Frozen throne
What to know before you go to the Ice Castles:
- Purchase a ticket online. Tickets are cheaper online then standby tickets at the entrance. Weekday tickets are cheaper then weekend tickets. Children 0-3 are free. Check the link for specific ticket information.
- Dress warmly. The temperature is no different inside the ice castles then outside the ice castles.
- Wear boots with traction – you are walking on snow, slush and perhaps ice.
- Wear snow pants if you want to go down the ice slide for the best comfort.
- Carry or wear young children instead of bringing a stroller which is not allowed. They do allow you to pull small or disabled children in sleds behind you. See the FAQ for a more detailed explanation.
- Grab some treats and delicious hot chocolate on the way out to warm you up on the ride home.
You will love it so much you will want to make it a family tradition each year!