This swedish meatball recipe is a favorite easy appetizer! Form into mini meatballs and serve on toothpicks smothered in a swedish meatball sauce recipe made from the pan drippings.
Happy New Year! We had a wonderful party with friends for our New Years Eve party last night. We ate great food and played a very entertaining game of Bingo with prizes. The best prize of the night was a Star Wars calendar that both most boys and girls wanted!
One of the appetizers was Swedish Meatballs. This recipe comes from my Grandmother. She used to make it for my mom! Last year for Christmas my mother put together a cook book that has descriptions about where the recipe came from and some other fun facts. This Swedish Meatball recipe was included in that book. I can’t believe how quickly these meatballs has become a favorite of my girls! I’m not sure what size my Grandmother made them but I like to form mini meatballs and eat them with toothpicks as an appetizer.
Just a few tips:
- Using a food processor is faster to incorporate all ingredients. Pulse until barely incorporated so the meat is not over mixed.
- I like to use a Small Cookie Scoop so the meatballs are all the same size. You can choose your own size, but I’d suggest all the meatballs be about the same size so that they cook evenly and for the same amount of time.
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup left over mashed potatoes - optional
- 1 pound ground round
- ½ pound ground pork sausage
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons drippings
- Boiling water
- 2 beef boullions
- Soak bread crumbs in milk for 5 minutes.
- Add to the bread crumbs potatoes (if using), ground round, sausage, onion, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Form into small meatballs. Lightly coat each meatball in flour.
- In a large skillet add vegetable oil. When hot brown the meatballs on all sides. Set aside.
- In the same skillet add flour and combine with drippings. Add bouillon and enough boiling water for the amount of gravy desired.
- Add meatballs to the sauce and simmer until fully cooked through.