Some good friends of ours first introduced us to grilled asparagus a few years ago. It was strange and new and my kids didn’t know what to expect, but they/we all loved it. Since then we have discovered we especially love the thin tender asparagus spears. Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan is an easy recipe that can be made just before serving.
The baking temperature is not a misprint. Crank that oven up and roast them at 550 degrees F. The spears come out pipping hot. Using a microplane grate fresh parmesan cheese over the top and watch it melt. I love this recipe!
Just a few tips:
- If you hold the tip and the stem ends of the asparagus and bend, it will break toward the stem end. This is your guide to cut all the rest of the spears, unless you want to bend each one individually.
- Make sure the olive oil completely coats each spear including the tip. The tip will end up bristly if it is not coated in oil. I do like the very tip only (1/4″) to be without oil. I like the crunchy texture in comparison to the stalks.
- Check out these tips on How To Keep Asparagus Fresh
- 1 pound fresh tender asparagus (thin stalks)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 550 degrees F.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the bottom ⅓ off the asparagus. Lay them side by side on top of the parchment paper.
- Add the olive oil on top of the asparagus. With your hands move the spears around fully coating each stalk.
- Evenly distribute the salt, pepper and nutmeg on top of the asparagus.
- If you wish use your hands again and toss one more time.
- Bake for 6 minutes.
- Immediately transfer asparagus to your serving dish and grate fresh parmesan over the top.