It seems a lot of the recipes we have in reserve to try require shredded chicken. I thought we could try to make our own from a whole chicken. I was hoping if we roasted two chickens the time and effort would be worth it and we would have enough shredded chicken for multiple meals. We found Roast Sticky Chicken-Rotisserie Style. It had great reviews and everything I have made from allrecipes with great reviews has been great. I was confident this one would be just as wonderful.
We started with two chickens and rinsed them inside and out. We placed them on a drying rack and patted them dry with paper towels.
We quartered two onions. Next, we measured and mixed all the spices together. We carefully put each chicken in a ziploc bag. We poured a little of the spice mixture in the cavity of each chicken, then stuffed it with an onion.
Then we added half the remaining mixture to each bag. We then shook the bag and moved the chicken all over so it would be fully coated. This method seemed to be the cleanest for the Little Chefs to assist.
The chickens were then placed in the refrigerator overnight. When we were ready the next day we removed them from the bags and placed them on a roasting pan. They baked for 5 hours.
I timed it so the chicken would finish when Little Chef H was taking a nap so I would be free to shred it right away. The Little Chefs did not want to participate in this part of the recipe. Of course life didn’t happen so perfectly. Little Chef H woke up early but was still tired so she wanted me to hold her. It was NOT easy shredding and holding her. I would not recommend it. But, what could I do. The process took A LOT longer then it should have! This is how much chicken we reaped. This definitely will make a few meals and the chicken tastes amazing! I’m sure we will even have chicken sandwiches for lunch!
Roast Sticky Chicken-Rotisserie Style
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 onions, quartered
- 2 (4 pound) whole chickens
- In a small bowl, mix together salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Remove and discard giblets from chicken. Rinse chicken cavity, and pat dry with paper towel. Rub each chicken inside and out with spice mixture. Place 1 onion into the cavity of each chicken. Place chickens in a resealable bag or double wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 to 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
- Place chickens in a roasting pan. Bake uncovered for 5 hours, to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Let the chickens stand for 10 minutes before carving.