We had a really fun time using phyllo dough for the first time with our Balsamic Strawberry Napoleons we decided to give another recipe a try! This time we thought it would be fun to roll up some of our favorite jam in the middle and top it with chocolate! I must admit phyllo dough is not the easiest for Little Chefs to work with. Ours cracked and broke a lot, the butter was not as easy to brush on as we thought, but it was still fun. The fun is really what matters for us!
The first step is to lay out one sheet of phyllo dough and brush one half of it with melted butter. Which half? Well you are going to fold it over like a hamburger when you are finished. Remember folding like hamburgers and hotdogs at school?! (If not, one way is skinny-hotdog and the other is fat-hamburger.)
After you have folded it like a hamburger it should be double thickness. Next, Little Chef A spread a narrow strip of our favorite homemade raspberry jam almost end to end. Apricot jam would be our next choice! (We make our jams smooth so it does work well for this recipe.) We didn’t want to go all the way because we didn’t want the jam to leak out the ends…but it did, though not very much.
Butter again using a brush the remaining portion of the phyllo dough. Starting at the end with the jam roll and roll and roll until there is no more.
Place all the rolls on a parchment lined cookie sheet and brush again with melted butter. Bake at 400 degress F for about 10 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
After removing the pan from the oven let them cool for a bit. We had some leftover chocolate sauce in the refrigerator which we warmed up then used a fork and decorated the tops. If we didn’t have this I’m sure the Little Chefs would have used chocolate syrup in the same manner to make it look “fancy”!
The result was great! The Little Chefs had a good time making these, and loved how they looked when they were completed. They even enjoyed the taste!
- Phyllo dough
- Raspberry jam
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Optional: chocolate sauce for decoration
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on your work space.
- Brush one half with melted butter. Fold over and lightly press to seal.
- Carefully spoon jam into a thin line from almost one end to almost the other.
- Brush the phyllo dough with melted butter.
- Starting at the end with the jam, roll the phyllo dough into a tight roll.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- When all rolls are completed, brush tops with melted butter.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- After cooling for a few minutes top with chocolate sauce. Enjoy!