Short cuts in the kitchen are great, especially when you are pressed for time. Elevating a boxed brownie mix by adding orange cream frosting and chocolate icing makes it an easy recipe. All you need is an orange, the other ingredients you probably have in your pantry already. Orange zest is added to butter, powdered sugar milk, and vanilla and orange extracts. Mix it all together and then spread it on top of the prepared brownies. While that is being chilled in the refrigerator use a double boiler to melt together butter, shortening and chocolate chips. This easy chocolate icing is spread over the orange cream frosting and then refrigerated again until firm. Serve cut into small squares.
Orange Cream Frosting and Chocolate Icing
Just a few tips:
- Lining a 9×13 pan with foil before cooking the brownies will allow you to lift the cooked brownies out of the pan to ease in cutting.
- Zest the orange right into the bowl you are using for less clean up.
- If you do not have a double boiler like me, any shallow saucepan with an inch of water with a metal bowl sitting on top of it will work fine. Be careful, the bowl will be hot to touch.
- Prepared brownies
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon orange extract
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon solid vegetable shortening
- In a medium bowl beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Add sugar, continue beating until fluffy.
- Add the orange zest, milk, vanilla and orange extract then beat until smooth.
- Spread on top of the cooled prepared brownies. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until firm.
- Meanwhile in a double boiler combine the chocolate chips, butter and shortening. Stir over low heat until melted.
- Spread warm icing over the orange cream layer. Refrigerate for 25 minutes or until firm.