We are doing something a little different around here. Instead of random recipes we are going to give you one meal a week. Monday will be a teaching tool or tip relating to some part of the menu. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday will be three different components to the menu. Thursday will still be our Fantastic Thursday Linky party. Friday will be a craft or activity relating to the theme of the menu.
What is summer squash? Zucchini, yellow crook neck squash and yellow straight neck are the most common varieties.
How do I select summer squash?
- Choose those that are 8″ long and smaller. The larger sizes become more bitter.
- Select squash that have bright colors and are firm, especially at the stem.
How do I store summer squash? The goal is to keep the squash from becoming soft and dry.
- Do not wash the summer squash before storing.
- Place summer squash in a plastic bag and omit as much air as possible. By reducing the exposure to air the storage life increases. The bag helps the moisture already inside the squash remain keeping it moist and retaining the flavor. The plastic bags from the produce department work great.
- Store the summer squash now wrapped in a plastic bag in the crisper section of your refrigerator. This area has less air flow. Remember we are trying to reduce the exposure to air.
With proper selection and storage your summer squash will stay fresh for up to 5 days.
This week we are sharing with you a Labor Day BBQ Menu. Come back and see how we will cook our summer squash on the grill!