This microwave sweet potato recipe is one of my parents and kids favorite side dish at the moment. One sweet potato can be shared with two people. It is one of those good food recipes that is fast to prepare with great results.
Do you forget about the sides like me? I tend to plan the main dish and then figure out the sides just before serving. Sometimes this works better then others. But, because I am a last minute side dish person I like to have certain staples in my pantry and refrigerator. One of those staples is potatoes. So many easy recipes can be made with all types of potatoes.
Microwaving sweet potatoes takes 10 minutes from start to finish. The sweet potato is placed in the microwave for about 6 minutes. After checking for doneness it is cut in half, scored and then smothered with butter, brown sugar, mini marshmallows and candied pecans. Then microwave a sweet potato again to melt the marshmallows for a few more seconds and it is done. Sweet potatoes can be had at any time of the year.
Microwave Sweet Potato
Just a few tips:
- Each microwave is different. Test to make sure the potato is done before adding all the toppings.
- Mini marshmallows will melt easier then regular sized marshmallows.
- Sometimes we use a Ziploc Zip ‘n Steam Bag, other times we place the sweet potato in the microwave alone. Both ways work fine.
- To create the hatch marks cut the potato score the cut side of the potato in one direction and then in the opposite direction. The potato should now spread open a little more so that the butter and brown sugar can melt into the cracks.
- I like to make a batch of candied pecans. Some get eaten plain, some are given away and some are to put in recipes like this one!
- Sweet potato
- Brown Sugar
- Mini Marshmallows
- Candied Pecans - see hints for recipe
- Place a sweet potato in the microwave and cook for 6 minutes.
- Test potato for doneness. It should be soft enough to eat.
- Cut the potato in half. Place cut side up on a microwaveable plate.
- Create hatch marks on potato. Spread to open.
- Add butter and brown sugar to each half allowing it to get down in the cracks.
- Place mini marshmallows on top then pecans.
- Microwave for 30 seconds. Check to see if marshmallows are melted. If not, continue in 15 second intervals until the marshmallows have spread out and do not look like distinct little balls.