You bring asparagus home from the grocery store but now what? How do you keep it fresh until it is time to cook it? If you wait too long the ends will dry out. You will then need to cut off more of the stem before cooking resulting in less to eat. My favorite recipe is Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan.
- Plastic bag
How to Keep Asparagus Fresh
- Keep the rubber band around the bunch of asparagus to keep it more manageable.
- Chop 1 inch off the stem end of the asparagus.
- Stand the asparagus upright, stem side down, in a container filled with water.
- Cover the asparagus and container loosely with a plastic bag.
- Place in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- When the water looks cloudy switch it out for fresh water.
Just a few tips:
- I love using a 2 cup glass measuring cup because it is heavy so it will not topple easily.
- I like to reuse the plastic bag I obtained from the store from the produce department.