Lemon Pepper Green Beans and Potatoes are surprisingly easy to put together. I love this easy recipe because I steam the beans and the potatoes separately in the microwave at the same time I’m making the sauce. Then all I need to do is toss it all together gently and it is ready to serve. My mom showed me these really neat Steam Cooking Bags. So many side dishes can be cooked in them. It is easy to scale for however many you are serving. We reuse the steam bags a few times to get more use out of them.
Just a few tips:
- At my local walmart I can purchase Marketside green beans. These come in their own steam bag. Follow the directions on the bag and they will be ready quickly.
- I used baby dutch yellow potatoes. Any small potato will work. Make sure they can be easily pierced with a fork before adding them to the other ingredients.
- Unless I’m lazy cutting the potatoes into fourths will season the potatoes better then if leaving them whole. It is an extra step but my girls requested this step because they wanted more flavor.
- Watch the almonds closely. They can burn quickly.
- 1 pound fresh green beans in steam bag
- 1½ pounds small yellow potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- Steam bag
- Steam green beans according to the directions on the bag.
- Place the small yellow potatoes in a steam bag and cook according to the directions on the bag.
- When the potatoes can easily be pierced with a fork cut each into four bite sized pieces.
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Saute almonds until lightly browned.
- Add cooked beans and bite sized potatoes to the almonds. Add lemon pepper. Stir to combine.
- Serve warm.