We love quick desserts because they are great for kids to practice cooking from start to finish. A lot of times recipes are too lengthy in time so they don’t make it all the way through without a lot of encouragement from me. Quick recipes are much simpler which usually means done in 15-30 minutes. The Little Chefs can see their progress and see they are close to the end when their attention starts to diminish which helps them continue on for just a few more minutes.
I first started my love of puffed pastry when we made Baked Cinnamon Sugar Churros, yum! Then I moved on to Zesty Orange Bites. To make the Strawberry Puffed Pastry Sandwich you first need to thaw your puffed pastry. I have found puffed pastry defrosts quickly when I leave it out on the counter. After about 15 minutes I get anxious, or my Little Chefs do, and then we start the recipe! Unfold and roll out the pastry until it is about 10 x 12 inches. Use any circle cutter to cut as many rounds as you can. A pastry cutter or an upside down glass works great too!
Place the rounds on a baking sheet and pierce with a fork a few times then bake for about 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
The pastry will cool quickly which is nice because that helps speed up the total time to create this recipe. Cut the pastry in half like a hamburger bun, but not quite all the way through. Add the berries in the middle to create a berry sandwich.
Add sweetened whip cream to the top and serve. Now wasn’t that quick?! The fruit juice drizzle adds moisture. Chocolate syrup would do the same. If I given the option my Little Chefs would have chosen the chocolate syrup! I’ll have to let them next time.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup strawberries
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- Sweetened whipping cream
- Thaw pasty. Unfold and roll out to make a rectangle approximately 10 by 12 inches. Cut pastry into rounds. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Pierce each round six times or more depending on how puffy you want them.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- While the rounds are baking, in a bowl combine the berries, sugar and orange extract. Let stand. Berries will soften and make their own juice.
- Cut open one round and add in the berries making a sandwich.
- Add sweetened whipped cream to the top and serve.