A while ago I saw a post on Tidy Mom about the perfect cupcake from a box mix. Our Tea Party was a perfect time to try out the recipe. We chose one of our favorite box mixes and ignored the directions on the box. Instead you will need 1/2 cup butter, 3 eggs and 1 cup water.
In a large bowl we melted the butter in the microwave. Then we added the cake mix, water and eggs. With a hand mixer mix on low for 1 minute then on high for 1 minute. I was very surprised at how thick the batter was.
Each time I make cupcakes I think I need to get one of those ice cream scoops because it is the right size of mix for each cup. However, I don’t make cupcakes very often and forget before making them again! That’s ok a spoon works well. It does make a mess especially when Little Chefs are helping. I am sure to wipe off the excess batter that is all over the pan.
After baking for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F the cupcakes are done! Let them cool completely before frosting. We were very surprised at how differently these cupcakes tasted. We really liked them and are going to make them again. Thanks Tidy Mom!
- 1 box mix (any flavor*) – but get the good kind, Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (use butter not margarine….trust me on this!)
- 1 cup of water
- Melt the butter in the microwave.
- Add cake mix, eggs and water to the butter in large bowl.
- Mix on low for 1 min. Then mix on high for 1 min.
- You will be amazed that your batter is nice and thick and creamy – not thin and runny like it is when you follow the box instructions.
- Fill cupcake papers – tip: use an icecream scooper! – One scoop is just the right amount per cupcake!
- Pop them in the oven on 350 for 20 minutes.
- Let cool.