For Valentine’s Day we have a yummy tradition that the Little Chefs help make, EAT and share chocolate covered strawberries. This year, however, we decided to mix things up a bit and try a new take on the delicious chocolate dipped strawberry….to turn it inside out and have the chocolate on the inside, Chocolate Filled Strawberries! We thought of this idea after making our Cream Filled Strawberries.
We first had to think of a way to get the strawberries to stand up, and to be able to easily fill them with chocolate. We pulled out our mini muffin tin, and they were perfect size to fit each strawberry. It was Little Chefs K’s idea to use the mini baking cups, to make them look “cute”. Which ended up working great for clean up, and it did make them look really cute! Little Chef E washed the strawberries. He loves this step because he washes two, eats one, washes two, eats one!
We pat them dry and trimmed off the stems. Then hallow out a small bowl shape in the strawberry. The bigger the bowl the more chocolate will fit in there 🙂
I found a really clean and easy way to melt your chocolate chips. Simply place them in a ziplock bag and sit it in a hot (not too hot) bowl of water. Softly squeeze and mash the chocolate chips every 30 seconds, or so. You may need to change your water more than once to make sure they are all melted. This way you simply snip the bottom corner of the baggy and fill each strawberry. And when you are done, just throw it away! No mess! Brilliant!
We filled each strawberry with the chocolate and placed them in the fridge for about 20 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden. And there you have it……we just started a new tradition, a Chocolate Filled Strawberry! A big hit with the Little Chefs.
- 12 - 15 Strawberries
- 1-2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Prepare a mini muffin tin with baking cups (baking cups optional)
- Wash, trim the strawberries.
- Pat dry and hallow out a small bowl shape in the strawberry.
- Put chocolate chips in a ziplock back and place in a bowl of hot water until they are completely melted.
- Cut a small corner off the end corner of baggy and fill each strawberry.
- Place in fridge for about 20 minutes or until chocolate has hardened.