When soccer and volleyball season are in full swing we are going every night. My girls get home from school and have a 30 minute break, then it is off to the races. We are bouncing from one place to another usually doing homework in the car. When we do come home it is either for a short window or it is late and everyone is grumpy because they are hungry and tired. These are the nights when I need a super quick easy recipe. This Creamy Chicken with Vegetables can be put together so quickly I have it done by the time short showers are taken and the table is set.
Creamy Chicken with Vegetables has a couple of short cuts. When I’m pressed for time I’m all about shortcuts! I discovered, thanks to my sister-in-law, packaged rotisserie chicken meat at Costco. It costs about the same as buying a chicken and taking the meat off yourself – which I really dislike. I buy a package and then when I get home separate the meat into freezer bags with smaller portion sizes. When I need a quick dinner such as this Creamy Chicken with Vegetables I grab a bag from my freezer and the chicken is ready to go. If you prefer to cook your own chicken you will want about 2 boneless skinless breasts. You can cube the chicken instead of shred it after it is cooked.
The second shortcut I use is frozen vegetables. I like the kind in the steamer bags so it can be cooked right in the microwave before adding to the pan. That helps speed up the cooking process as well. I usually add another 1/2 cup of peas right to the pan to pack even more vegetables in the dish. Any type of vegetables can be used, this recipe is so versatile. I would suggest staying away from the bags with sauces, just get the plain vegetables.
Creamy Chicken with Vegetables is such an easy recipe next time we make it my 12 year old is in charge of the meal. It is another one she is easily capable of making by herself.
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 16-20 ounces frozen vegetables of your choice
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 package wide egg noodles, cooked
- In a large saute pan cook the onions in vegetable oil until translucent.
- Add chicken, soup, sour cream, garlic powder, parsley, marjoram, basil, salt and pepper. Stir to combine well.
- Add vegetables. Stir to combine.
- Cover pan and simmer on low heat until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese.
- Serve over wide egg noodles.