To continue on with our Pirate theme, yesterday we had Sun Roasted Broccoli and today we are sharing our Cheesy Pull Apart Sourdough Bread. I’m sure the bread the pirates had was not freshly made but that isn’t stopping us from making something delicious today. What I love about this recipe is you are not making the bread, you get to buy a round loaf of sourdough. That saves a lot of time!
The cutting of the bread is a little tricky, your Little Chefs might need some assistance. When cutting do NOT cut all the way through the bread. Leave about 1/2 inch on the bottom of the bread uncut. You do not want the bread to fall apart yet. First you cut in one direction 1 inch slices from one end of the bread to the other. Now cut crosswise into 1 inch slices from one end to the other end. You should have squares, but the bread should not be falling apart because that last 1/2 inch on the bottom is keeping it together.
Take your 3 green onions and chop them or dice them however you can. I like the smaller the better because then every bite can have a piece of onion, but it depends on the skill level of your little chefs. These pieces here are larger then I prefer, but that is how Little Chef D can cut safely so it is fine.
In a microwave safe bowl melt the butter then add the green onions and poppy seeds.Place your cut bread onto of a large piece of foil sprayed with nonstick spray. Pour the butter mixture over the bread, trying to get it in all the cuts. We worked as a team and opened the bread and poured to make sure the buttery goodness went down into the inner parts of the bread. It is starting to look delicious!
Sprinkle the cheese over the bread trying to get it in all the cuts. Again, we worked as a team and opened the bread to get it in the cracks. We did not only want the cheese on the top but throughout the bread! Obviously some escaped onto the foil.
Wrap the bread in the foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Cut open the top of the foil and bake 10 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted. Serve warm and gooey.
- 1 unsliced round loaf sourdough bread (1 lb)
- 1 8oz package shredded Monterey Jack cheese blend
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 stalks green onions, minced
- 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut bread crosswise into 1 inch slices to within 1/2 inch of the bottom of the loaf. Repeat cuts in opposite direction. Dice green onions.
- In a small bowl melt the butter. Once melted add green onions and poppy seeds. Mix well.
- Pour the butter mixture over the bread, trying to get it in all the cuts.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the bread trying to get it in all the cuts.
- Spray a large piece of foil with nonstick spray. Wrap bread in foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes.
- Cut open the top of the foil and bake 10 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve warm and gooey.