How To Bake Soft Pretzels
One last thing to do before popping these in the oven–
Create the Perfect Crust
Brush the boiled pretzel with beaten egg yolk and water mixture to help give the pretzel the golden brown color.
When all the formed pretzels are boiled, egg washed and salted, bake for about 12 minutes in a 450 degree oven.
Starting at 10 minutes watch the pretzels. Depending on your oven the soft pretzels may cook slower or faster.
Once they are finished brush them with melted butter then either dip them in a cinnamon sugar mixture or sprinkle the mixture on top.
Let them cool for a few minutes if you can and then dig in!
I can’t wait to surprise my kids with these St. Patrick’s Day Cinnamon Sugar Soft Pretzels when they come home from school this year!
- 1½ cups warm (110 to 115 degrees F) water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 package active dry yeast (2½ teaspoons)
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour, approximately
- Green food coloring
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Vegetable oil, for pan
- 10 cups water
- ⅔ cup baking soda
- 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- Cinnamon sugar mixture
- Combine the water, sugar and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam.
- Add the flour, butter and 6 drops of green food coloring, using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined.
- Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, clean the bowl and then oil it well with vegetable oil. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and sit in a warm place for approximately 50 to 55 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 half-sheet pans with silpat or parchement paper which is lightly brushed with the vegetable oil. Set aside.
- Bring the 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a rolling boil in an 8-quart saucepan or roasting pan.
- In the meantime, turn the dough out onto a slightly oiled work surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a 24-inch rope. Make a U-shape with the rope, holding the ends of the rope, cross them over each other and press onto the bottom of the U in order to form the shape of a pretzel. Place onto the parchment-lined half sheet pan.
- Place the pretzels into the boiling water, 1 by 1, for 30 seconds. Remove them from the water using a large flat spatula. Return to the half sheet pan, brush the top of each pretzel with the beaten egg yolk and water mixture. Bake until dark golden brown in color, approximately 12 to 14 minutes. Rotate the pan at 7 minutes to ensure even baking.
- Brush on melted butter then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture. Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.