Happy National Chocolate Chip Day!! To celebrate the awesomeness of the Chocolate Chip……we of course wanted to make some Chocolate Chip cookies. But, instead of actually cooking them, we wanted to try something even better!!! Check out this easy recipe we have for you today.
Are you like us and eat and eat most of the Cookie Dough batter before the cookies hit the oven? If so, then you gotta try this Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Milkshake!! What a better combo – our favorite chocolate chip cookie dough & our homemade vanilla ice cream!
During the hot summer one of our favorite treats to make is ice cream!! For that reason, we bought – which is now one of our favorite small kitchen appliances – an Ice Cream Maker! We’ve tried vanilla & chocolate ice cream, fresh fruit ice cream – strawberries and peaches (fresh peach ice cream – our FAVORITE – I will post that recipe when fresh peaches are in season!). We have added cookies and candies, and we have on our list to try some yummy fresh sorbet!!
We have found a few tricks with making homemade ice cream – you need to chill or freeze everything before making your ice cream. So the Little Chefs made the Vanilla ice cream base, then put it in the fridge for at least 3 hours before adding to the Ice Cream Maker. We also keep the bowl of the Ice Cream Maker in the freezer at all times. The bowl needs to be frozen before you make your ice cream.
Same rule for the Cookie Dough. We made the cookie dough and placed small bite-size pieces in the freezer. We first put them on a flat sheet and flash froze them for a few minutes – then transfered them to a bowl, covered and froze. We altered our favorite cookie recipe to taste better with the vanilla ice cream, and made a 1/2 batch.
Once everything was nice and cold, or frozen…..the Little Chefs poured the Vanilla ice cream base into the Ice Cream Maker. We let that go for a while, once the ice cream had thickened, we added the frozen pieces of cookie dough. If you let it get too thick, you will need to use a spoon rather than a straw to eat it!
This is now one of my Little Chefs favorite shakes! The cookie dough pieces did get stuck in the straw a couple times, but that did not stop them, or me!! I was hoping they would not finish their shakes, I would have helped them!!
Summertime and warm weather is a perfect time to indulge yourself in some delicious milkshakes. So bust out the ice cream makers and blenders and make up some yummy Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Milkshakes!! Also – check out our Summer Calendar – it is filled with pages of fun ideas and activities for your kids to do this summer!! If you are not a fan of cookie dough, try out our Vanilla Milkshake!
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 c sugar
- 2 c whipping cream
- 1 c whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c butter, softened
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1/3 c brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/3 c flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 c chocolate chips
- Whisk 2 eggs in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add 3/4 c sugar, a little at a time, then mix together for about another minute.
- Add in the cream, milk and 2 tsp of vanilla and blend.
- Place Ice Cream base in Fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Beat butter and 1/3 cup of each sugars in large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the 1 egg and 1/2 tsp vanilla and mix well.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the cookie dough and mix until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate Chips.
- Place the cookie dough into bite-sized pieces on a cookie sheet and flash freeze them for just a couple minutes.
- Transfer them to a bowl, cover and freeze.
- After the ice cream base is chilled, transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker.
- Once the mixture becomes stiff and thick, add your bite-sized frozen cookie dough pieces.
- If you continue mixing, you will end up with ice cream. Or quickly pour into glasses for a delicious milkshake!