We are a household comprised mostly of girls. Little Chef Dad is determined to educate my girls with comic book characters. That means learning all about the Avengers. Today we want to share easy recipes for non-alcoholic drinks representing some of the Avengers.
My Little Chefs had a great time learning about the science behind creating the drink. How do you create the layers? Why does it work sometimes and other times it doesn’t? It’s great when we can mix science into anything!
I went shopping for the drinks with my two oldest girls. I explained how the layers worked so they could help me pick out the different flavors. When we started making the drinks with everyone else they were sure to teach what they now know (active learning!) to the rest of the family. Then off they all went mixing their own drinks and loving it!
How does it work?
- Look at the sugar content on the label. The drink with the highest grams of sugar/serving size goes first. This is sometimes tricky because the serving sizes are different on each bottle.
- Pour in the drink with the highest sugar content.
- Fill the glass with ice.
- Pour the second highest sugar content on top of a piece of ice very slowly. No rushing, or mixing occurs.
- Pour the third highest sugar content on top of a piece of ice very slowly. Again, no rushing.
- Enjoy your drink.
What we also found interesting is when you drink it, unless you stir everything together, you will consume it in the opposite order unless drinking from a straw.
It is best if the sugar content is at least 10 grams difference. Sometimes it is hard to find that for the right colors at the right content level. It will mix a little more if there is less then 10 grams difference.
In honor of the new Avengers movie we made a mixed drink for Captain America, Iron Man, and the Hulk.
- Cherry 7 up
- Hawaiian Punch Polar Blast
- Gatorade Frost – I also wanted to try Pina Colada Sobe but I couldn’t find it.
- Hawaiian Punch Green Berry Rush
- Sprite Zero
- Welch’s Chillers Mango Passion Fruit
- Cherry 7 up
Imagine having these drinks at your next Avengers movie night or party. The kids would be so impressed.