Little Chef A LOVES the 4th of July! She learned so much about US history this year that she LOVES anything patriotic. I love it when table decorations serve two purposes. This 4th of July Crafts – Firecracker table decoration can be looked at as well as eaten! It is an easy craft that is fast!
I saw the individual ritz cracker packages a few months ago and thought it would be fun to create a firecracker out of them. After a quick trip to the dollar store to add a spray I was off crafting.
- Individual Ritz cracker package
- Patriotic scrapbook paper
- Spray from dollar store
- 5” circle punch
- Hole punch
- Look at the ritz cracker package. There is loose packaging on the top and on the bottom preventing it to stand up right. Carefully secure the loose packaging tightly against the bottom and pull packaging up the side as far as it will go and tape. Repeat with the top. Be careful not to break the crackers.
- Cut out a piece of scrapbook paper 7 inches x 3.5 inches. This piece will wrap entirely around the package.
- Cut out a coordinating piece of scrapbook paper 7 inches x 1.5 inches. Glue this piece of paper to the top of the paper in step #2. The top 1/3 of the paper in step #2 will be covered by the second narrow piece of paper.
- Wrap the paper around the crackers. Secure with glue or tape to the packaging. Roll tightly. When finished, secure with glue or tape.
- Use the circle punch to create a 2.5 inch circle out of scrapbook paper. If you do not have a circle punch use a lid to help create a circle.
- Using the hole punch create a hole in the middle of the circle. My hold punch doesn’t allow me to go in far enough to reach the center. Instead, I folded the circle in half and then punched half of a circle with the hole punch in the center of the fold. When I opened the circle the hole was in the middle.
- Open the “spray” (I bought mine at the dollar store). Cut 5 pieces close to the bottom. You can also use the wire with the stars (I did on one) but I found it harder to stay in place.
- Fold the 5 pieces of spray in half to find the center. Tape the center on top of the cracker package.
- Feed the “spray” through the hole. Attach the circle to the paper surrounding the cracker package with tape. The more you pull the “spray” through the hole the more it will stand up.
This year for your 4th of July crafts create this quick Firecracker table decoration for your guests. If they don’t get eaten because they were too fun to look at, let them take it home as a thank you for coming gift.