We have already shared a Pom Pom Turkey and a Yarn Turkey but we are having fun with different turkey crafts for kids! The kids will get a little dirty with this Handprint Turkey because of the paint but if you have a sink nearby or baby wipes the clean up will be quick. This turkey craft is great for all ages. The young ones are even able to participate this time.
- construction paper
- foam paint brush
- paint, a few different colors (we used red, green, blue, white)
- sink or baby wipes for clean up
- black, red and yellow markers
- googly eyes (optional)
- Choose your first color of paint for the feathers. Start by painting the right hand with a paintbrush until completely covered. Place the right painted hand on the left side of the paper keeping the fingers spread apart. Press the fingers down with a clean hand. Next paint the left hand the same color in the same manner, and place on the right side of the paper. The palms should just barely touch. When finished with both hands wash the paint off.
- Choose your second color of paint. Repeat the same painting process as in step one. This time do not place on top of the first hand print, but stagger it a bit. Repeat with the left hand. When finished with both hands wash the paint off.
- Choose your third color and repeat the same process.
- Using a bare foot, either one, paint the color you want the body of the turkey. We chose white, but in hindsight a white body on an off white paper does not show up that well. Paint the foot and then step on the paper. Refer to the picture for the orientation. (The heel is the head.) Now is when baby wipes would be extremely helpful because clean up can happen in the same place without hopping to the bathroom hoping to not get paint on the floor.
- Let the paint dry.
- Using markers color in the face however you choose. You could also use googly eyes instead of a marker to give it even more character.
The hardest part of the Handprint Turkey is controlling where the paint is going…hopefully just on the paper.
Did you see our Black Friday Bingo? If you are a brick and mortar Black Friday shopper this is for you!