I made this super cute Stitched Heart Garland with my girls because it is an easy craft for our Valentine’s Day decor and for one more very important purpose.
This craft has two objectives:
- Valentine’s Day is coming soon and my Little Chefs LOVE holidays! They love the food, the surprise, and especially love decorating! They find any boxes of decorations that I have and decorate the house themselves. If I do not have enough to make our home or their rooms festive enough they MAKE their own decorations. I love this. They are being creative and problem solving and are ALWAYS proud of their own creations.
- What a better way to teach my Little Chefs how to sew on a button then through a craft. The repetitive pattern helped my Little Chefs improve their skills with each new heart. By the end they were confident in their ability to sew on a button without me sitting right beside them.
Stitched Heart Garland or How to Teach Kids To Sew On A Button
- felt hearts of various sizes and colors – we cut our hearts out with pinking shears just for fun
- the same amount of buttons as hearts
- ribbon, the length of your choice
- needle and thread
- Cut the ribbon the length you would like your garland to be.
- Place one heart on the ribbon and a button on top of the heart. Using your needle and thread sew the button on the ribbon. We have learned it is easier to vocalize the steps so that your heart does not end up like this because the thread went down instead of going up. Up one hole, down the diagonal hole. Up the opposite hole, down the diagonal hole.
Each Little Chef had their own method of holding all parts together and pushing the needle through. After the first heart Little Chef A was able to do it all herself. Little Chef C wanted me to start each heart for her. Little Chef D needed even more hands on help. Her stitching was unconventional with a few mishaps and the messiest backside.
My Little Chefs had the best time making their OWN valentine decorations while learning how to sew! They commented they were getting better and better at sewing each new heart. This year we are going to have a GREAT new decoration in their rooms.
Give it a try and teach your Little Chef how to sew on a button!