If you are looking for a last minute 4th of July craft I have one for you today. Easy crafts are always fun for holidays! This duct tape water bottle holder is patriotic and perfect for parades, hikes, parks or water parks. Whatever you love to do on the 4th this craft will be perfect to help keep you hydrated.
Around the 4th of July we take a trip to my Aunt and Uncle’s Ranch. The kids love being outside riding the horses, investigating and playing with the dogs. We pretty much spend the entire weekend outside. It is hot, which means we are always needing water. It is easier to carry along some water then make the trek to find it. I love freezing my bottles of water at night. During the day I carry it around while it defrosts. Sure it drips cold water but that is fine when it is hot because it the drips feel good and I know I have ice cold water!
This duct tape water bottle holder comes from a YouTube video. I loved their idea but could not find written directions for it so I decided to create my own. Before we get started two things you need to know. First, I love in the video how they use parchment paper because the duct tape peels off so easily. It also helps to cut out the circles needed in the craft. Second, you have the option to measure out and put together this craft on the parchment paper or you may do so on a self healing mat. Both are easy.
- Duct tape
- Parchment paper
- Scissors or Rotary Cutter
- Self Healing Mat (optional)
- Cut two pieces of duct tape 9″ long. Overlap the pieces a bit to make it wider. I overlapped my pieces so it totaled 3″ in width. This will become the outside of the holder.
- Repeat step #1. This will become the inside of the holder. I used silver duct tape instead of the cute design because no one will see it.
- Place a 4″ strip of duct tape on a piece of parchment paper. Use a 1 3/4″ circle punch to punch out 2 circles. One will be for the inside and one will be for the outside.
- Cut a piece of duct tape 8″ long. Fold it in half on top of itself. It will now be 8″ long and only half the width.
- Cut a piece of duct tape 45″ long. Fold it the same manner as in step #4. It will be long and skinny for the strap.
- Flip over the piece in step #1. Take the long strap from step #5 and create an oval as shown in the picture.
- Take the short strap in step #4 and place it in a “U” shape in between the other strap as shown in the picture. The more evenly spaced you make these 4 the more balanced your water bottle will be. You will also want the “U’s” where they cross under the water bottle to be level to ensure the water bottle sits on both straps.
- Take the piece from step #2 and place it on top of the piece from step #1 to hold the straps in place.
- Place a water bottle inside the holder and flip it over. Cross the bottom straps and place a circle to hold them in place. Remove the water bottle and place the second circle on top of the first inside the holder to hold the straps in place.
- Place a water bottle inside the holder and close it up with an additional 3″ piece of duct tape. This piece is able to reposition, if needed, to allow the water bottle to go in and out. Make it tight enough that it won’t fall out but not too tight that you cannot get it out when needed.
Since this is for a family reunion we are attaching the schedule to the strap. We will refill the water bottles from a 5 gallon container. This way we do not need cups and everyone will be able to stay hydrated. Did I tell you I found this cute duct tape at the dollar store!