Learning while having fun and playing games is active learning. After having fun listening to the color songs over and over, and then using the color sight word worksheets it is time to take another next step in the progression. These color sight word cards will teach your child how to spell the color words on their own. Use these cards to create sight word games.
Sight Word Games
How to Play Version 1:
- Start with the colored letter and boarder set.
- Choose which word you want to practice first, such as yellow.
- Lay out all the letters spelling yellow randomly on your table.
- The yellow letter and boarder will cue your child to spell yellow. Ask them to put the letters in the correct order to spell the word. It’s ok if they sing the color songs to remember the order.
- Once successfully completed move on to the next color word.
How to Play Version 2:
- Use the cards with the black letters and the colored boarder.
- Choose two words you want to practice such as yellow and red.
- Lay out all the cards spelling yellow and red on your table. Ask your child to spell two color words. You can choose if you want to tell them the words or not. The color boarder will give them a hint as to the word they are forming and which letters go together.
- Once successfully completed move on to two more color words.
How to Play Version 3:
- Print either version in black and white.
- Lay all the cards on the table at once.
- Ask your child to form color words using the cards.
Repetition is key for my children. Having three progressions helps me see how well they are doing and where they need additional practice.
I’ love hearing from you! Let me know how these games work for you in the comments.