Quick Chicken Divan is a great recipe for leftover chicken or turkey. It started out as a fairly easy recipe that my Little Chefs would easily eat. Once they started helping me out in the kitchen I realized we need to simplify some of the steps to make it even easier for them to succeed. We changed it from a layered casserole which never stayed layered. Before serving we would stir it all up anyway to make sure all the “good stuff” was spread evenly around and shared by all. To simplify it we got rid of the layers and mixed it together from the beginning.
We love that it uses cooked chicken breast. If you are planning your meals ahead (which we don’t always do!) and cook two extra pieces and chop into bite size pieces and the hard part of this recipe is already done! In a large bowl combine the chicken, broccoli and half of the cheese. The recipe calls for frozen broccoli because it is ready to go, no need to thaw. In fact the extra water makes the sauce a little more soupy which is the way we like it. You are welcome to use fresh broccoli which we did this day because we had some available. Make sure to cut the pieces small enough to match the size of the chicken. You will also want to add a little water 1/4 cup at the most to make it a little more soupy.
In a small bowl, blend the cream of chicken soups, mayonnaise/sour cream, lemon juice, curry, garlic powder and pepper. Make sure when Little Chefs are measuring out they do not measure over the mixing bowl so that they can do it over just in case too much is poured….yes it has happened to us quite a few times!
Add the creamy mixture to the broccoli, chicken, cheese mixture and combine well. In a greased 9×13 baking dish pour in the mixture then top with the remaining cheese. I took the picture too early, but at least you can see it all mixed together. The other picture would have only showed cheese so I guess this one is better.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly or lightly browned. We like to serve it over rice a side of Bacon Wrapped Green Bean Bundles and some Amish White Bread. This meal is always a hit with the Little Chefs. Of course whoever helped make it, in this case, Little Chef C, is the one to eat it the quickest!
- 2 (1o ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli
- 2 cooked and seasoned boneless chicken breast halves, chopped
- 2 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon curry
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine the broccoli, chicken and half of the cheese.
- In a small bowl, blend the cream of chicken soups, mayonnaise/sour cream, lemon juice, curry, garlic powder and pepper. Add to the broccoli, chicken, cheese mixture and combine well.
- In a greased 9x13 baking dish pour in the mixture then top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly or lightly browned.
- Note: Frozen broccoli adds water to make it more soupy. You may use fresh broccoli, chopped small, but add in about 1/4 cup water unless you like it thick.