As you know we watch a lot of cooking shows! We have seen Sous Vide cooking there so when we were given the opportunity to review the Aqua Chef we were very excited. The judges always comment how the food that was cooked with this method is so tender and perfectly cooked. We obtained the same results with the exception of salmon. For some reason that did not work for us-the taste and texture was very off.
Right out of the box the Aqua Chef was a little overwhelming with all the parts. Once they were all put together it didn’t seem as bad. The instructions were lacking. I read and reread thinking I was missing something, but then just decided to give it a shot and start cooking. The Little Chefs were able to help vacuum seal the meat in the bag and then place it in the water bath. The button options are few which is nice. They put the lid on and we waited for hours until dinner time. It really was as simple as that!
I was VERY skeptical because I am not used to cooking a steak for hours! I was afraid of the result. After removing it from the bag and searing it on all sides dinner was ready. The result was a perfectly cooked, moist and tender piece of meat. We used a sirloin cut which turned into something very soft and yummy! The color is strange. It is not like I’m used to right off the grill. I am a visual person so I had to avert my eyes from the meat and let my taste buds take over or I would not have tried one piece. Because of the taste result we had to continue using it.
- It is about the size of a 4-slice toaster. If you have limited counter space it is perfect.
- The unit is stainless steel and easy to keep clean. The water basin is easy to fill and empty.
- It is easy to buy meats, season, vacuum seal, and freeze until later. They are ready to go when you choose to cook them.
- The water heats up quickly. I was surprised at this and thought I would be waiting a while. I plugged it in then prepared my protein and the Aqua Chef was ready and waiting.
- The sirloin cut (not great quality) was the best, moist and tender steak we have ever cooked. It was restaurant quality tender!
- Vacuum sealer comes with the unit with reuseable bags.
- The AquaChef fits sideways on my counter. I say sideways because technically it would fit the other way, but I do not like the idea of the handle sticking out into the walkway for my Little Chefs to grab or knock into.
- The cooking process is lengthy. The hours required to cook the meat and then for steak you need to sear it on all sides before serving. The color inside color is very different then grilling a steak and was off putting to me. Though if I closed my eyes and ate the steak it was very moist and tender.
- The instructions to put it together are not very clear. I had to figure out the electrical conductor had to be placed perfectly or the machine would not turn on. It needs to be slid in the back slots perfectly even though it looks right if it isn’t slid in. Sure this is a safety feature but it wasn’t well explained.
One lucky Five Little Chefs reader will win their very own Aqua Chef! Isn’t that exciting! We cooked chicken tonight in the machine and wow it was good! Good luck!
Don’t forget Fantastic Thursday is still open. Come link up what you have been up to so others can see your wonderful work!
This giveaway is only open to US Residents..sorry!