With all the candy around at Valentine’s Day (and don’t get us wrong, we LOVE conversation hearts and cinnamon bears) we try to give a little more love than just candy. This year we decided to give homemade playdough as Valentine’s Day gifts to all the Little Chef’s friends.
This playdough recipe we created by combining a couple different recipes. We LOVE this recipe because it is so smooth and not crumbly, it will last forever (I think I just threw away a batch from last October!), and the recipe is SO easy!
The Little Chefs threw all the ingredients in a bowl and whisked it together. Little Chef E decided that 2-4 drops of food coloring needed to be more like 6-8 drops. However, it did make it really bright pink, just perfect for Valentine’s Day!
We then poured the mixture to a saucepan on medium heat. And stir CONSTANTLY!! Keep stirring until the mixture pulls from the sides and forms a ball.
Remove from heat, and let cool for a few minutes. Knead the playdough a couple times. Then let it cool completely before you start playing with it, or before you store it. Store playdough in an airtight container.
- 1 c flour
- 1/4 c salt
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 c water
- 1 T oil
- 2-5 drops of food coloring
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk together
- Pour mixture into a saucepan over medium heat and stir constantly
- Stir until it forms a ball.
- Remove from pan, and let cool for a few minutes and knead the playdough.
- Let it cool completely before playing with it or storing it.
- Store in an airtight container.